The refinery now operating under the Shell Oil umbrella began operations as a Texaco refinery in 1958. It later transitioned to Shell ownership. The refinery next door, which began operations in 1955, transitioned from Shell to Tesoro to Marathon (current owner).
This is an Anacortes waterfront scene in 2008. See the Anacortes Maritime Heritage Center for details about the vessel’s connections to Skagit County. According to Wikipedia, “BMW Oracle Racing won the America’s Cup on February 14, 2010, off Valencia, Spain, beating Alinghi 2–0 in the best-of-three series and becoming the first American syndicate to win […]
Seven years of work culminated in July 2008 with the “crowning” of a J.C. Leadbetter street clock on Commercial Avenue in front of the Brown Lantern Tavern. Addition of the brass finial was the dream of former museum director Gary Cline, but it took lots of partners to make the dream a reality. Tom Thompson, […]
Curt Oppel is an enthusiastic advocate for local businesses, as evidenced when he dons his walking billboard that reads in part: “Shop in Anacortes.” This photo was taken during the Fourth of July parade in 2002. Time has passed, but the message remains the same: “Anacortes businesses depend on local shoppers to continue to provide […]
As noted on an interpretive panel near the Cap Sante Marina, “…for generations the familiar blast of mill whistles punctuated daily life in Anacortes.” The panel points out that the western shore of Fidalgo Island was populated by 13 wood processing plants by the early 1900s. This photograph of the downtown Anacortes waterfront was taken […]